The Old Hickory Church of Christ has a sacred purpose and a shared dream: We want lost people to have eternal life in heaven and saved people to have abundant life on earth (John 10.10). We are committed to helping you glorify God by living your best possible life. That is why Old Hickory is a great place to call home.
Our vision comes from John 10:10: "I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."
- We exist so lost people may have eternal life and saved people may have abundant life.
- Our goal is to help people live eternally and effectively.
- Our work, therefore, is to evangelize and edify.
Our leading values come from 1 Corinthians 13:13: "So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love."
- Faith - Sound Beliefs (Romans 10:17)
- Hope - Positive Emotions (1 Corinthians 13.7)
- Love - Caring Relationships (1 Corinthians 16.14)
We ask 3 questions to guide us in every decision we make:
- Is it biblical? (Colossians 3.16-17)
- Is it hopeful? (Galatians 6.10)
- Is it caring? (1 Corinthians 16.14)
We will create a healthy culture for spiritual growth where...
- The Great Commandment and Great Commission are our highest priorities.
- Members cheerfully serve, give, and share their faith.
- Shepherds help people grow spiritually and achieve their dreams.
- Members cherish their shepherds who love, guide, and pray for them.
- Families are supported to grow stronger in faith and closer in love.
- Youth are nurtured along a path of core values, knowledge, and life-skills.
- Members enjoy sound beliefs, positive attitudes, and caring relationships.
- Deacons serve well and feel superbly trained and supported.
- Members share a positive identity as New Testament Christians.
- Leaders at every level are committed to continual growth.
We will build a leadership team that is motivated, cohesive, and effective by...
- Bonding and building trust
- Sharing preaching responsibilities
- Upholding New Testament Christianity (Matthew 7.24-27)
- Uniting around a bold vision of the future
- Creating a culture of openness, encouragement, and supportive accountability
We will implement a people-centered approach to leadership by...
- Practicing coach-based shepherding (elders are abundant life trainers)
- Developing growth paths for spiritual formation, life success, and leadership
- Coaching people through life’s transition points (stabilize and strengthen)
We will implement Jesus’ abundant life standard in all we do as a church by...
- Defining and communicating what abundant life looks like
- Teaching and preaching with more intention and spiritual depth
- Being a positive presence in our community through doing good (Matthew 25.34-36) and sharing Christ (His story, love, teachings, and church)
We will produce resources for encouraging other churches by...
- Making full use of social-media, blogs, and the web
- Developing teaching materials for abundant living
- Hosting events to share principles of church growth
Our Dream Team
Elders and ministers at Old Hickory are dream experts. They understand how ideas become reality and are ready to help you achieve your dreams. They will not do the work for you, but they will coach you and cheer you as you take the next faithful step forward. If you need a little clarity or encouragement, reach out to them and they will help you reach up to fulfill your amazing potential (1 Peter 4.10).